Episcopal Church of the Ascension welcomes you...
We are a diverse community of faith that gathers to worship God. Our worship includes reading and reflecting on scripture, singing hymns and celebrating the sacraments of the church. We endeavor to learn together, about faith, about God and about one another. We serve together in a variety of ministries that include school partnerships, feeding ministries, advocacy and much more. We hope that you'll join us as we seek to restore unity with God and one another.
Upcoming events at Episcopal Church of the Ascension:
OBSERVING A HOLY LENT AT ASCENSION:
In addition to our Sunday services, we are offering the following to observe the sacred season of Lent:
- Ash Wednesday (February 14) - Services at Noon and 7pm, prayers and imposition of ashes
- Wednesdays at 11am - Prayer and Formation, our weekly study will take a Lenten theme, join us as you’re able.
- Wednesdays at Noon - Noon day prayers will be offered in the chapel, this daily liturgy will serve as an example of daily prayer. The chapel will remain open until 2pm for private devotion or reading, stop by anytime between noon and 2pm to offer prayer.
- Confirmation preparation - Confirmation classes begin on Wednesday, February 28th. Classes continue through Lent and into the season of Easter, contact Fr. Paul or Sarah for more information.
- Personal disciplines in community - The suggestions for Lenten disciplines (prayer and living) that were featured in "Ascension Ed" are also noted on the blog. Lenten prayer guides, "Meeting Jesus in the Gospel of John" will also be available at the church.
- History of Lent and Holy Week with Dr. Mark Stamm, SMU, on Tuesday, March 20 - We will begin with a wine and cheese reception at 6:30 and continue with a presentation on the History of Lent starting at 7pm, join us for an enriching evening.
upcoming in ascension ed:
Fr. Paul will be teaching on some of the foundations of the Episcopal church, including
governance of the church
Everyone is welcome to attend. Sessions will also be recorded and available for viewing.
godly play training:
Interested in Baptism or Confirmation?
Holy Baptism is full initiation by water and the Holy Spirit into Christ's Body the Church. It is rightly observed as a part of our community, particularly on certain feast days throughout the year. The next baptism will take place during the Easter Vigil on Saturday March 31st at 7pm.
Confirmation in the Episcopal Church is the sacramental rite in which the candidates "express a mature commitment to Christ, and receive strength from the Holy Spirit through prayer and the laying on of hands by a bishop". We offer a series of fun and engaging classes to help prepare those who are interested in this rite. We are planning to hold classes on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30pm on the following dates: February 28th, March 7, March 14 (Spring Break- no class), March 21, April 4, April 11, April 18. Additionally, we will hold a class following the Maundy Thursday service on March 29th as well as a full day retreat on Saturday April 28th. There will not be a required overnight retreat this year. Please let us know if you plan to attend these classes.