Episcopal Church of the Ascension seeks a full-time Associate Rector to join our welcoming and diverse community, open and progressive in faith and outreach ministries while grounded in the Anglican tradition. We are a parish within the Diocese of Dallas, under alternative oversight in order to offer the sacraments to all persons and teach accordingly. Our diversity of gender, age, sexual orientation, economic status, national origin and other criteria means we are not of one mind on every issue, yet we are clear that God’s love calls us to welcome the stranger and spiritual inquirers from every background and our call as Christians is to be the body of Christ in the world.
Ascension is in a pivotal season as we transform under an Invite Welcome Connect philosophy and await the opening of our 3500 square foot Youth and Outreach Center, scheduled for Advent 2019. Our worship and internal relationships unite us in Christ and our Ascension Outbound ministries connect us with our community. Our day school deepens our connection to our neighbors.
A substantial number of Ascension’s members demonstrate a solid commitment, serving as leaders in our ministries and calling us to consider new ventures. The staff works closely with one another and the parish to fulfill our common vision. Our Rector, The Rev. Paul Klitzke was called in 2015 and plans to lead the parish for years to come. Together, we expect to cultivate new ministry and help all who come to connect with meaningful discipleship practices.
An ideal candidate will come ready to join with other staff members and lay leaders to lead and provide guidance to our transforming and serving community. Our ideal applicant will have initiative-taking and interdependent work skills. He/she will have the gifts of a collaborative spirit, emotional resilience, an empathetic demeanor and will be prayerful and reflective in decision making. Thoughtful and articulate preaching, speaking to spiritual hunger and life concerns is an essential gift for this candidate to possess.
Our next Associate Rector can expect to be included in all aspects of parish life. Initial responsibilities will include:
Working collaboratively with clergy, staff and lay leaders to further the mission of the church.
Participating fully in the church’s priestly and pastoral ministry by leading worship, celebrating the sacraments, presiding over weddings and funerals, preaching, teaching and leading small groups.
Exercising particular gifts and fulfilling key leadership responsibilities in a range of potential areas of ministry, depending on the gifts of the successful candidate. Ministry areas of interest will include at least two of the following:
1) Pastoral Care: Coordinating the pastoral care of the congregation, overseeing pastoral ministries, including Lay Visitors, Eucharistic Visitors, Stephen ministers, prayer ministry, and ministries to those aged 65+
2) Evangelism: Continue to develop methods to fully integrate Invite Welcome Connect ethos into the everyday life of Ascension, working with staff, vestry and lay leadership.
3) Day School, Children, Youth and Family Ministries: Overseeing the children, youth, family and intergenerational ministry that exist, creating more opportunities for engagement and spiritual growth, engagement and connection for parishioners, organizing and executing programs and speakers.
4) Adult Education and Formation: Overseeing and working with the Formation Committee to lay out a vision for Adult Formation that promotes spiritual growth, engagement and connection for parishioners, organizing and executing programs, retreats and speakers.
5) Mission and Ascension Outbound: Engaging the congregation in the work of Ascension Outbound, evaluating ministries, and considering and engaging new outreach opportunities for all ages, especially families and working adults.
A Successful Candidate will share these values with us:
Welcoming to all, demonstrating openness with an inclusive approach.
Authenticity, great preaching and a sense of humor.
A commitment to service inside and outside of the church connecting well with the congregation and a desire to understand parishioners needs to care for them.
Strength with group process and communication skills.
A desire to continue to grow theologically and pastorally.
An open mind and heart.
We look forward to hearing about the particular passions of each candidate. The position is full time with compensation commensurate with experience. Total compensation package in accordance with Episcopal Diocese of Dallas guidelines including pension, paid leave, professional development leave and eligible health benefits.
Contact To apply, send your cover letter, resume, links to recordings of two sermons (or transcripts), three references and updated OTM profile to The Rev. Paul Klitzke
This info is also available as a pdf here.